Saturday, August 13, 2005

Hello There!

While perusing a gift shop in Mendocino, California, I came across a T-shirt that said:

"From the earth we are formed, to the earth we return, and in between we garden."

Unfortunately, I talked myself out of investing in the T-shirt (seems to me they didn't have the baggy size I prefer,) but I scribbled the quote down on a scrap of paper. I've since cross-stitched it and hung it in our dining room and trust that my family will remember to pull it out for my wake someday. I hasten to add that I have no premonition of dying soon, but I do have a strong sense of my own mortality and just want to do my final party up well.

So, I'll use this blog as a way to communicate my experiences, observations, and memories to my family and friends, because if you think about it, wouldn't it be amazing if all of our ancestors could have had this opportunity? Someday Johan (my precious 3-year-old grandson) will be able to know his Mormor in a way that hasn't been possible until now.

My garden is my therapy, my solace and my connection with my peasant forbearers, who mostly came from Germany, but a few from England and Sweden as well. Although I can't smell the soil any more (more on that in a later post,) I get great pleasure from pulling weeds, digging in the soil and picking raspberries.

My thanks to Paul and Leta (whom I've never met, but whose blog I read often) for helping me aspire to start this project.

1 Comments:

At 8/14/2005 8:48 PM, Blogger Leta said...

Congratulations! Welcome to the blogging community. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home