Monday, August 15, 2005

Berry Time

My red raspberries are entering their second bearing of the summer a little early this year. Usually I'm still picking a few stragglers at the first frost (3rd-4th week of October here in Central Illinois,) but this year they're coming on much earlier than usual. We've had rain on and off for the last 2 days and the berries are setting their own records with this crop. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that the largest ones that I picked this evening were an inch in diameter!

The canes that I grow are called "Heritage" and have the charming habit of bearing their heads off on the new canes of the summer, with the largest and most prolific crop (the crop that I'm beginning to harvest now) and then, after having those tips pruned off, will bear again along new side branches early next summer, just in time for 4th of July raspberry desserts. At that point, when the canes have borne two crops, they're ready to be cut out, which gives the next generation of canes more room to spread their lovely leaves.

This year the leaves haven't been so lovely, thanks to the obnoxious Japanese Beetles, who love to gnaw lacy holes through the raspberry leaves. Thankfully, the canes seem to have enough energy to ignore their ravaged leaves and go ahead and produce the new crop without interruption.

I picked 2+ pints tonight. D likes to think in terms of what I could sell them for at Schnuck's, our local grocery store, and according to his calculations, 2+ pints would be worth more than $10. This is just the start of this crop, though. We had a yield of about 70 pints with the first crop earlier this summer. I'll take these to work tomorrow to give to a co-worker who saved berry containers for me.

When I figure out how to post pictures here, I'll show you a picture of the patch.

1 Comments:

At 8/17/2005 6:54 PM, Blogger mary ann said...

The best way to post a picture is to join Flickr. Put the pictures there and it provides the code you need to post the photo. Let me know if you need any help with the technical part of this Blogging thing. Paul will vouch that I provide good help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home