Sunday, December 11, 2005

It’s Why We’re Here

As much as I look forward to next September, when I retire and have a different routine, there are times now when it’s a challenge to prepare for it. It’s also a time to ponder what my career has meant to me.

Think of how it is when you move to a new community. You have to find a dentist who is kind and relatively pain-free. You have to find a grocery store that carries most of the stuff you’re used to buying. Then you have to learn where everything is so you don’t have to chase all over the place when you’re in a rush. For a woman, it means you have to find a care provider whom you trust and like enough that you’re willing to drag yourself to her/his office every year for your gynecological exam.

For nearly 15 years, I’ve been that care provider for a number of women. On a typical work day I’ll be scheduled to perform annual exams for at least 2 or 3 women whom I’ve seen before. Some women I barely remember, others I remember with dread. Then there are some whom I remember very well and look forward to seeing. These are the women who make my job worthwhile because I know that I’ve made a difference in their lives.

I’ve decided that it’s not only fair to tell those patients of my retirement plans for next fall, but it’s also an important part of my letting go of this part of my life. So, since the end of September, I’ve been telling those with whom I feel a special connection that I’ll be gone in a year when they have their next annual exam.

Their responses are interesting. The older women—those near retirement age or older—say “Good for you!” and seem to accept the news with grace and understanding. Others will react with dismay: “But who will I see next time?” as though it had never occurred to them that their relationship with me is finite. But the most interesting are those who actually tell me what my care has meant to them.

Several have said, “You always listen to me much better than my doctor.” Last week one woman actually had tears welling up as she told me that. It took longer than usual to usher her out and, of course, when she was halfway down the hall, she thought of one last thing that she needed to ask me.


When I started college in 1961, I thought that I wanted to be a music therapist, so I did two years of Music Ed, in preparation for the real stuff. However, toward the end of the second year, I finally acknowledged that I didn’t really like to play the piano, much less have the ability to “play by ear,” which are both integral skills as a music therapist.

In between my sophomore and junior years, I worked as a nurse’s aide in a local hospital and got hooked on nursing. I had always admired nurses, but my mother had steadily discouraged any further interest in the profession, her main objection being, “They’re on their feet too much and work long hours.” (Turns out she was right; now as I near retirement, my legs seem to be the most vulnerable part of my anatomy.) So, during a particularly traumatic summer when my mother was recovering from cancer and beginning to consider the attractiveness of Christian Science healing, I switched my major to nursing.

I was very aware of the financial drain it would be for my parents, as Sister#2 was just enrolling at Knox College, a private and much more expensive college than the state school that I had attended. So I offered to go to a much less expensive diploma nursing program, such as Wesley, in Chicago. As it turned out, the additional expense to my parents became a moot point when I acquired various part-time jobs that enabled me to pay for the 5th and 6th years of my undergrad education.

Despite the financial and emotional challenges that my career change meant, my parents insisted that I go to a 4 year nursing program at the University of Illinois, the cheapest option that would still net me a degree. I’ll always be very grateful to them for that, because although it meant that I’d take 6 years to get my B.S.N., it has greatly mattered throughout my professional life.

Initially I was attracted to nursing because the nurses that I knew seemed to have acquired a broad spectrum of practical knowledge. As I watched them at work, I liked the combination of talents that the good nurses seemed to have. First, they were great communicators; secondly, they had a depth of medical knowledge that was very impressive and used math (which I loved in high school.) And third, they used their hands; I really liked the idea of using my intelligence with my hands to make a difference in people’s lives.

It’s painful for me to admit, but I also knew that being a nurse would increase my chances of marrying a doctor, which it did. And I also had the inchoate sense that being a nurse would be helpful for my family, which it has. So, I’m happy to report that this has been the right career for me and that I do feel that I’ve made a difference in many lives.


During her last years, my Great-Aunt Rose lived by herself in a cold-in-the-winter, hot-in-the-summer, sparsely furnished bungelow in Naperville, Illinois. At that time, Naperville was just a quiet little town, way on the outskirts of Chicago. Aunt Rose, who never married, had lived in that house for at least 40 years with her two maiden sisters, who both predeceased her. As time went by, my dad’s sister, Aunt Alta, watched over Aunt Rose and tried to convince her to move down to Moweaqua, a little farm town in Central Illinois, to which Alta had retired. Rose refused, saying that she wanted to live on her own. No one could budge her and thanks to her penny-pinching ways and her healthy constitution, no one could think of a convincing argument to move her.

However, as often happens, things didn’t progress the way that Aunt Rose had expected; Aunt Alta passed away at the young age of 76, leaving Aunt Rose without immediate family (Alta had been her sister’s—my grandmother’s—daughter.) Since I had just moved back to Illinois to work at my current job, I offered to take on the Aunt Alta role and check up on Aunt Rose every other month or so.

By this time, Aunt Rose was in her 90’s, and independent, but only because of the almost daily kindnesses of her neighbor of many years, Evy. Evy, a retired nurse, had lived next door to Aunt Rose for as long as my family could remember. Evey filled in for me frequently, taking Aunt Rose to doctor appointments, helping with shopping, etc. They had a system of checking in each morning; if Aunt Rose had raised her tattered kitchen shade, it was a sign to Ernie, Evy’s husband, that Aunt Rose was up and at ’em.

It is from Evy, who still lives in her house, but alas, without Ernie, who passed away earlier this year, that I received a special understanding of what my career and life mean. Toward the end of Aunt Rose’s life, when I was leaving her house and needing to ask Evy to do yet another favor for Aunt Rose, I apologized for having to do so. Evy said to me in her soft, gentle, matter of fact way, “It’s why we’re here.”

It’s why we’re here. It’s such a simple concept, yet profound. And it perfectly expresses why nursing has been the right choice for me.

5 Comments:

At 12/12/2005 8:13 PM, Blogger Rosellen said...

Thanks for your observations. It's only now, as I look back on who I was at age 23, that I understand the logic of my career path.

 
At 12/14/2005 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rosellen, this post moved me. My mom retired last year and is planning to test out Boulder, Colorado as a new home -- she'll spend three months there starting after Xmas. I'm going to forward your blog URL to her. It's been an interesting year, thinking about what her retirement means for her and for me and my family. -- Jessy

 
At 12/15/2005 10:02 PM, Blogger Rosellen said...

Jessy,
What a big step, for your mom to try out living in Colorado. Is she still in Rochester now? I'm glad to hear that you're sending my link to her.

 
At 12/16/2005 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, she's still in Rochester -- this will be the first time in her life she'll live outside New York State.

 
At 1/01/2006 5:15 PM, Blogger david said...

rosellen -

i must admit, a little sheepishly, that this was my first visit to your blog. and i'm so glad i started with this beautiful post.

congrats on your upcoming retirement. i'll certainly start checking in with you more frequently - it's a wonderful place you've created here.

david

 

Post a Comment

<< Home