Monday, January 02, 2006

A Great Little Housewife

My Aunt BL is in her mid-80’s and is one of those people for whom time has stood still. It’s an effort for her to keep her opinions to herself and my recent announcement to her that I’d be retiring in September has yielded some interesting interactions.

We usually talk weekly (she lives in North Carolina) and over the last month she has been cogitating about my reasons for retirement. Despite the fact that I’ve planned carefully and have secure finances, she believes that I should keep on working just because I can. She apparently believes that I should try to make more money, but I’m beginning to wonder if perhaps my retirement signifies to her that she’s becoming more elderly.

Yesterday she took a new tack. First, she wanted to know the exact date (September 9, 2006) that my new life will begin. Next, she wanted to know what I’d be doing with my time, all in a supportive kind of tone. However, before I could answer the question, she answered it herself, “I suppose you’ll make a great little housewife.”

A great little housewife. When I told Dennis and my daughter, they both chortled. Dennis had the perfect description of our domestic roles, saying that he and I are a housecouple. Aunt BL just doesn’t get it and I suppose she never will. Despite the fact that I kept my last name when Dennis and I were married 5 years ago, Aunt BL determinedly sends us mail addressed to Mr. And Mrs. And in her mind I’m retiring so I can spend my time cleaning house and ironing. Arghh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home