Friday, September 09, 2005

Now We're on Five Lists

I did get the sewing room pretty well shoveled out; there are just a few finishing touches that I need to do before I present you with the before and after pictures.

We wonder when we'll finally meet our new family. This blog will document how long our wait from the first sign-up to arrival of a family in need will be. As any conscious American knows, all of the pain, frustration and delay of help to the displaced is a wake-up call to our disaster preparedness. It helps me better understand where I want to place my priorities when I retire.

Our Local Red Cross, the group that we first contacted, is organizing local mass housing, yet another way to "ghettoize" the poor families who are most affected by this tragedy. And their official spokesperson advised me that they have no current plans to place folks in private housing. That way, locals can keep their homes free of the riff-raff and just throw money at them...of course, she didn't say that, but that's how the plan reads to me.

So, we've signed up on the following additional lists: shareyourhome.org, Episcopal Relief and Development, katrinahousing.org, katrinahomes.org. I'm beginning to wonder if we should just hop in a van and drive down and swoop a family out of a shelter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home