Saturday, March 25, 2006

I Know You'll Listen To Me

As my loyal readers know, I’ve been counting down the days until September 9, after which I’ll be able to sleep in most weekdays and get more regular exercise. Recent events have helped me realize that maybe I should look at my remaining time on the job from a different point of view.

Several mornings ago I asked my first patient if she had any particular concerns. She said that she had a list of questions for me. Before proceeding with my own agenda, I asked her what the questions were. It turned out that she’s had a history of false positive test results for an STD and wanted to know if that could indicate some further problem.

Once I understood the nature of her questions, I proceeded with my usual yearly questions and exam. I stepped out of the room while she was dressing and discussed my hunch with one of my other early-rising colleagues. She confirmed my thoughts and so I suggested to my patient that we do a screening test for auto-immune diseases such as Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis.

As she was leaving, she said to me, “My mom has been after me to talk to my primary doctor about this, but I said to her, ‘I’m going to ask Rosellen; I know she’ll listen to me.’”

I know you’ll listen to me. Several patients have said that when I've told them that they won’t see me for their annual exam next year. I’ve decided that instead of counting down the days, I’ll try to approach each new day at work as an opportunity to better understand how I can make a difference for each person on my schedule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home